Wednesday 28 September 2011

Tyres, Bearings, etc

We went to Lincoln last weekend, and had a great time working on the house.  The only thing was this vibration in the car...
I went to a local tyre place, and asked them to help me out.  I got the front tyres re-balanced - they were quite far out, even though they were done when I had them installed about two months ago.  I wanted the rear tyres replaced as well, but the chap said I only needed one, so a bit of savings there.
Took it for a boot around the country lanes.  The vibration is still there, but not as bad, so some of it was the balancing of the tyres.
So, back to the drawing board, as it were.
I did some research, and found that if the front bearings are nearing the end of their lives, they can give the symptoms the car has - a little vibration going straight ahead, steadily worse the further left I turn the steering wheel, at it's worst between 30 and 45 mph.  The vibration magically disappears when turning right, but hard right turns (like around a fast roundabout) I get a clunking, grinding sound.  Now, I need to get the front of the car up in the air and spin the wheels.  A grinding noise whilst spinning the hub (with the wheels still on to keep the load on the bearings) would indicate bad bearings.  Now the bad thing is, because the car has been lowered, every time I jacked it up using the factory scissor jack, it was putting lots of strain on the jack.  Now it's almost impossible to turn the jack when it's at it's lowest setting.  So, I need a new jack.  I can't really go to Halfords and get a nice trolley jack, because they don't fit - I know this from the tyre shop, they had to lift the car by the wing in order to get the clearance to insert the jack.  I will need to get a standard scissor jack.  Not a bad thing, it just makes me wonder how many jacks I'm going to go through....
So this weekend we're off to Canterbury to visit a friend.  I won't really have much time to work on Hugo, but I can always hope.  In the mean time, I have to source some new bearings.  I want to do both the front bearings; if one is gone, the other can't be far behind.  I also have to wonder if the bearing failure has anything to do with the severe camber the car had when I first dropped the car two and a half inches, and the bad alignment.  It's not so bad now, but I think it may have contributed to its demise.
Hopefully my next update will show the new bearings installed!

No comments:

Post a Comment