Tuesday 17 May 2011

Wish List

One of the most dangerous things about owning a car of this age (or vintage, if you prefer), is that they can suck a lot of money out of your pocket.  There are many other people out there with the same car, who have done modifications to make their car unique.  There are some really goofy looking cars out there, where people have taken it a bit too far, and there are some example that really do well to show how great their cars can be.
One of the cars I look at and I'm really impressed with is Hakuna's Miata.  The mods to this car include a turbo, and some nice subtle body work.  In America, it does seem to be a lot about more power, which I certainly don't have a problem with!
When I look at some of the cars in the MX 5 Owner's Club Website, I can see some really nice work as well.  There are some people out there that really take pride in their cars, and it shows!
I have always been one to tinker with my cars.  I think there is always room for some customisation.  I'm not saying the manufacturers have done a bad job, I just like to make my cars my own!
It started with my first car, a 1983 Toyota Celica hatchback.  I don't have any pictures of it, but it was a bucket of bolts if there ever was one!  I painted the wheels, tinted the windows, painted the carpets, and added some huge subwoofers with lots of amplifiers.  Hey, I was just a kid...
My first real stint of modding cars was my 1995 Plymouth Neon Sport Coupe.  This was the first car I had and had money in my pocket, so it received heaps of mods. Stereo, interior, lighting, engine, paint, exhaust - nothing was left untouched.  It even had purple neon lights lighting up the underbody.  Oh, the shame....
Hugo represents something a bit different.  I want the car to be something special, something unique, but not so outrageous to attract too much unwanted attention.  It's more about enjoying the drive with the top down!

Having said that, there are some things I would like to do to the car that will (I think) make it comfortable to drive, fast to drive, and pleasing to the eye:

Stainless Steel exhaust:
It looks so shiny!  I don't know how much performance is enhanced by something like this, but I'm sure it will flow even better than the factory exhaust.  Many people miss the point that if you modify your engine to intake more air (a very common mod), you have to allow for more air to leave the engine.  A big bore silencer isn't going to do it, really, is it?  There are still lots of restrictions before the exhaust gas reaches the silencer.

Front Upper Strut Brace:
Not my engine - it sure is beautiful, isn't it!
The car is 20 years old.  It's showing signs of aging.  One of the things it does is creak and groan when ever I go over an uneven bump.  I'm hoping a brace would get rid of this.  I'm sure there is some value to adding these, but there is a lot of debate as to whether they really do improve handling on the street or on the track.  It looks nice, but that's not what it is about for me - I want the groaning to stop!

Polyurethane Bushing Set
I don't have a picture.  As a car gets old, the original rubber bushings get worn, and the suspension gets sloppy.  This happens to all cars, but I find it more noticeable in cars that are designed to handle.  I drove a Miata in Canada (a 1990 with a manual gearbox) in 1995, and the handling was brilliant.  I'm sure the relative newness of the suspension components made a big difference to this.
They aren't easy to replace; it's a fairly involved job that involves removing the upper A arms and other bits, but I know it will make a big difference in the responsiveness of my car.


Clear Side Marker Reflectors:
How sweet is this car!
Just a detail in the looks, but I think have quite an impact.  Plus the existing ones have are dirty and worn...

I would also like a wind deflector - I'm told they make a huge difference in motorway driving.  Something my wife is especially keen on...

No comments:

Post a Comment